Well, winter’s gone! Although it felt like all that snow and ice would last an eternity, the summer has come to bless us with its warm, welcoming sunlight! Even though we’re glad for the change of season, there are still some things we think you need to keep an eye out for in this weather.
Plumbing tips to remember this summer:
- Check your water bill. It has been observed that homeowners tend to use more water in the summer than in the winter. You may do more washing in the summer. You may fill up that inflatable swimming pool for the kids more often. You may water your lawn and garden. That’s no problem, until your water bill becomes a problem.
- Check your meter. Ok, so you’ve looked at your water bill and got the surprise of your life – it is unreasonably high! It’s time to do a little test. Check your meter and take note of where it is. Then, don’t run any water for some hours and go back and check your meter once again. If the meter has moved, then it could be an indication that you have a leak somewhere. It may even be a dripping faucet. Don’t underestimate these things – they add up.
- Keep a lookout for standing water. If you see any standing water in your front or backyard, then you should probably check for a leaking or cracked pipe. Standing water can be problematic. It can encourage mosquito breeding and can be unsafe for your children or pets.
- Protect your basement from the rain. We all know how the rain can pour down in the summer sometimes and if you don’t have a waterproof basement that can spell trouble for you. When you see signs of basement water damage, fix them immediately. Have some interior and exterior waterproof work done now and you can save yourself the hassle for years to come.
- Prepare for sewer backups. Rain can cause a number of problems, including sewer backups. If tree roots have grown into the sewer lines or drains, then that can make the problem worse. You need to call professionals when that happens.
We’re those professionals you need to call if you have plumbing problems like these and more. We’ve got experienced and affordable plumbers in Ottawa. With just one call, we can help you solve your plumbing needs and offer you emergency plumbing services.