The P-trap connects your drains to your waste pipes. It’s that curved length of pipe which you can find under your sink and behind your toilet or tub. It holds a little bit of water in it, so that harmful sewer gases and toxic substances don’t escape it. It serves a pretty big purpose. The only thing is that sometimes debris like hair, grease and other sediments can bank up inside it and cause blockage.
You can try to unblock it yourself with a length of electrical cable or call us, the plumbers. If you want to try to do the job yourself, then you’ll need a screwdriver, a utility knife, pliers, 4-foot ling electrical cable, baking soda, boiling water and white vinegar.
- If you have a strainer in the drain, remove it.
- Go under the sink and disconnect the stopper level from the lift rod, by using a screwdriver. Then unscrew the lever from the drain extension and pull it out. After that, lift the stopper out and replace to lever after you have removed the stopper.
- Using your utility knife, strip approx. 3 inches of plastic coating from your 6-foot electrical cable.
- Take the ends of the wires and twist them together with pliers until you get a pointed end.
- Push the wire as far as it will go down into the drain. Despite the fact that you may encounter resistance, keep pushing, pulling, twisting or turning until it goes through the blockage.
- Pour the boiling water down the drain at the same time you’re performing step 5. This will help flush out the debris.
- Pour a cup of baking soda down the drain, then right after that, pour a cup of white vinegar down the drain too. Give the mixture some time to work, and then try to clear the drain again using the boiling water and the electrical cable wire.
If your cloggage continues, maybe it’s time to call the pros. Do not wait another minute. Contact the professionals if you need help with this kind of plumbing problem or more. We’ve got experienced and affordable plumbers in Ottawa. With just one call, we can help you solve your plumbing needs and offer you emergency plumbing services!