Like the name implies, a sink stopper blocks up your sink, stopping water from escaping down the drain. That way, you can fill up the sink with water when you need to. Unfortunately, as all household systems do at some point, your sink stopper can become faulty. So instead of holding water, the sink stopper drains it.
This can be caused by a clog or bad alignment. You can fix both problems with a simple repair and you can do this all by yourself. All you’ll need are adjustable pliers, safety glasses and a bottle brush.
- Put your safety goggle on and crawl under the sink to locate the nut that’s protruding from the rear of the drain plumbing. Loosen the nut with your pliers and remove the rod that was sticking out of it. Now you’ll be able to remove the sink’s stopper.
- Check to see if the stopper became disconnected from the rod. Carefully pull the stopper out and if it comes out entirely, that indicates that it was incorrectly installed. Check the bottom of the stopper for an oval hole and see if that hole is off-centered. The, center it and reinstall the stopper.
- Adjusting the sink stopper can be done by taking it apart. Use the adjustable pliers to turn the nut, and then pull it out. Clean the stopper properly if you see debris on it, like hair dirt and other gunk.
- Put duct tape over the hole where you removed the nut. Put a towel beneath it so any water that leaks out will drip on it. Take the bottle brush and push it as far as you can down the drain pipe and scrub around.
- Reassemble all the parts you removed in reverse. Ensure that you get the rod to pass through the oval hole in the stopper. Place the round nut in a downward sloping position and tighten it (but not too tight). Make sure the stopper is protruding as high as possible from the bottom of the sink. Get someone to hold the rod up as you tighten or adjust the bolt on the flat bar.
See – that was simple and easy. You can do it! If you think you aren’t that qualified to do it, you don’t need to worry, just give us a call. We’re plumbers who care about all aspects of the well-being of your family and your home. Contact the professionals if you need help with plumbing problems or more. We’ve got experienced and affordable plumbers in Ottawa. With just one call, we can help you solve your plumbing needs and offer you emergency plumbing services!