A leaky faucet is only a problem if it stays leaky. Don’t ignore it. It can add hundreds of dollars onto your utility bill and it can actually be really easy to fix. You don’t want that annoying drip-drop sound of the water falling or the pool of water growing under your sink. That’s why you need to get it fixed ASAP.
All you need is an Adjustable wrench/C wrench, Phillips and/or flat-head screwdriver, Penetrating oil (WD-40 or CRC) and Replacement washers and O-rings. Now, all you need to do is:
- Take your water supply OFF! Don’t forget that at all. We’re talking about from the faucet knobs to the knobs coming from the main line.
- Use a flathead screwdriver to pry off the fancy parts of the faucet knobs. When you’ve done that, you’ll notice that there’s a screw that mounts the handle to the stem. Unscrew it and then remove the handle with your screwdriver. After that you can use the penetrating oil to help you loosen it. At that point, you’ll be able to remove the handle from the stem.
- Continue by using the wrench to loosen the packing nut and then you’ll see the stem, which you should also remove. You may have to twist it off from the valve or it may just come off easily. See if the removed parts are in good condition or if they are damaged.
- If you find that everything seems to be okay, then you should look at the O-ring and the washer inside the calve seat to ensure they’re not the cause of your dripping faucet. Take the old washer out and replace it with a new one.
- Finally, reassemble the parts in this order – washer/O-ring, stem, packing nut, screw and handle, then turn the faucet on slowly to see how the water is running and to see if you have fixed that leak.
So if you’ve tried this and it just doesn’t work, it’s time to call the plumbing ambulances! Contact the professionals if you have plumbing problems like these and more. We’ve got experienced and affordable plumbers in Ottawa. With just one call, we can help you solve your plumbing needs and offer you emergency plumbing services.