Just when you’re in a rush, your sink’s drain decides that it isn’t. Or just when you’ve got company over, your sink’s drain decides to give you the most embarrassing show down of your entire life. Absolutely frustrating!
You probably weren’t prepared for this. Sink clogs can pop out of nowhere. One day it’s fine, the next day it isn’t. You’ll probably need an emergency plumber, but in the meantime, you can try these little handy solutions.
- Try using a bent wire hanger. All you have to do is straighten out a hanger, then bend one end to make a hook. Push the hook part down the drain and you’ll be able to pull the debris out.
- Try using dishwashing detergent. You can use this after you’ve removed most of the stuff that’s clogging the pipe. Pour ¼ cup of detergent into the drain and then pour boiling water behind it. When you’ve done that, apply force with a plunger.
- Try using plain old boiling water. Boil that water up and pour it down the clogged drain as slowly as you can. Give it a chance to work and then continue pouring.
- Try using a wet and dry vac. Set the device to wet, then cover the sink and seal the drain as tightly as you can. Put the vacuum up to the highest level and let it rip. This may or may not work, but why not give it a try?
- Try using baking soda and vinegar. It’s the perfect fizzy concoction. Just pour ½ cup of baking soda down the drain, then finish it by pouring a ½ cup of vinegar behind it and you’ll see the dissolving duo go into action. To finish it off, pour hot water down the drain.
- Try cleaning the U-trap. The u-trap is the u-shaped pipe underneath the sink. Put a bucket under it to make sure nothing spills on the floor when you loosen the nuts and remove the u-trap. Then, turn the u-trap upside-down to shake out any loose gunk into the bucket. Next, use an old toothbrush to loosen and remove any gunk that’s still stuck in there. When you’re finished, you can put it back.
These options should probably fix your problem, but if they don’t, you should start considering the possibility that you have a bigger, more complex problem at hand, like a sewage block. You’ve got to leave that up to the professionals. We’re those professionals you need to call if you have plumbing problems like these and more. We’ve got experienced and affordable plumbers in Ottawa. With just one call, we can help you solve your plumbing needs and offer you emergency plumbing services.