You don’t think about it until it’s just about time to pay your bills, but water costs a lot! It’s different in different countries, but that doesn’t change the fact that we should never waste it. It’s way too precious! Take a look at all the places around the world where water is so scarce that it would make your home look like Heaven.
That’s why you should follow these guidelines on how you can save water:
- Don’t let the water run while you’re shaving or brushing your teeth. Many old faucets use 3.5 a minute! New faucets used less – 1.5 gallons a minute. You can replace your old faucet’s aerator with a 1.5 or a 0.5 GPM aerator and it will save you some water and some money.
- Don’t take baths, take showers. Did you know that taking a bath used much more water than taking a shower? That’s right. Oh, and replacing your shower heads can reduce your water usage too. Use low flow heads instead of the regular models.
- Do full loads of laundry only. If you wash your clothes only when you have a full load, you tend to save much more on your overall water cost. If you don’t have a choice but to wash, then make sure the water doesn’t completely fill up with water.
- Get a new toilet. Newer toilets actually use much less water than those older ones made before 1993. They use only 1.6 gallons, while the older versions use about 3.5 gallons. Then there’s another option: “Some old toilets can be retrofitted with a new flush valve without having to replace the toilet, check with the toilet manufacturer for details.”
- Deal with water leaks immediately! This is a major problem that wastes a whole lot of water. In most homes there are one or more leaks present. The trick is to identify it and fix it as soon as you can, to save yourself that precious water and money. We can help you do that.
You can contact us for even more water-saving tips. We’re those professionals you need to call if you have plumbing problems like these and more. We’ve got experienced and affordable plumbers in Ottawa. With just one call, we can help you solve your plumbing needs and offer you emergency plumbing services.